Monday, February 20, 2012

Garbage disposal

Sorry sorry sorry.  And sorry a few more times.  We didn't forget about you all.  We're just in a transition phase and are a bit disorganized.   But we're back!  And ready to post lots for you to cook.  Don't worry Heather, Megan will throw up a good one next!  :)

So, back in the day (high school), I had a bit of a nickname.  Wait wait wait.  Don't be thinking that kind of stuff.  I was a good kid.  My friends called me the garbage disposal cause I ate anything.  Inevitably, someone didn't finish all of their lunch.  So I swooped in to take care of business.  I miss the days before my metabolism slowed.  Anyhow, Smith allllways got Pizza Hut breadsticks, which happen to be one of my weaknesses.  I distinctly remember that there were always three and for some reason completely unknown to me she could only ever eat 1.5 or 2 of them and that was enough to fill her up.  So then it was my turn to take care of bidness.

So, anyways, this really does correlate to my recipe in a rather roundabout way.  Ok, see, I was called the garbage disposal and this recipe is called garbage disposal quinoa.  Or trainwreck, whichever you prefer.  Both could probably relate to me but I suppose that's a story for another day.

You will need the following:

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 of an onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
1 veggie bouillon cube
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds

So, here's the beauty of this recipe.  It's designed to clean out your refrigerator!  So, if you have any other veggies that you think would be lovely in this toss 'em in!  Broccoli or cauliflower would be awesome.  If you're a squash person, toss it in!  Go nuts.

 Soak your quinoa.  Trust me on this.  I've forgotten before and it's gross.  See my recipe for quinoa enchiladas if you've forgotten how that process works.  Bring water to a boil.  Add quinoa, bouillon cube, italian seasoning, and cayenne pepper.  In the meantime, saute onion and garlic in heated olive oil.   Once the onion becomes translucent add to the quinoa mixture.  Cover and boil until the water is absorbed.  Give it a good stir and toss in the sunflower seeds.   Mix in parmesan cheese and serve!

I like to eat this with a big fat salad.  It's a great go to when you think you've run out of food or you have stuff you need to use up before it goes bad. 

Enjoy with a nice cold beer!  I can't believe I even said that...

Megan J

No comments:

Post a Comment