Monday, February 27, 2012

Pork Verde

I come from a somewhat large family, 4 kids, I have 2 sisters and one brother.  Now those of you who come from a similar family understand that over time there become roles that everyone dutifully plays in the household.  When it came time to cook one of my sisters was always right there helping out, when it came time to do the dishes I was always bellied up to the sink.  My brother was generally off working with my dad during these times so he somehow always got out of it.  My other sister conveniently had to "go to the bathroom" during cooking or cleaning and would then disappear.  Over the years these roles solidified and were rarely altered.  So it came as a surprise to my family when I started cooking, it was even more surprising when the food actually tasted good.  Now imagine how surprised they were when I told them about this blog.  So today's recipe, for my family's pleasure and yours is pork verde, slow cooked in a 2 quart crock pot.

You will need:
a small boneless pork roast (I bought a larger one and cut it into several smaller pieces to use later)
a carrot
a celery stalk
frozen corn (as much or as little as you want)
1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
1/2 (15 oz.) can black beans
fresh minced cilantro
brown rice (as much or as little as you like)

Cut up the celery and carrot and put in 2 quart crock pot with everything else except the rice and stir.  I put my crock pot on high heat and cooked for a 2.5- 3 hours.  You could also put it on low and let it cook all day.  The longer your roast cooks the more tender and juicy it will be.  I like when it's falling apart!  When you are about 45 minutes away from eating cook your brown rice according to packaged directions.  When the rice is done put some of your roast on top and pour some of the sauce w/ beans and veggies on top and ENJOY!  Sorry I didn't take a picture of this dish, after smelling it cooking for a few hours I couldn't wait to just eat it.  I am however putting a pic of me as a 2 year old, "washing the dishes" at my play kitchen... just more proof that my role in the family was played at the kitchen sink.


Megan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment