Friday, October 26, 2012

Tomato Fennel Soup


Autumn has definitely fallen upon those of us in Montana, judging by the snow it may actually be winter.  With colder weather one starts craving hot soups and delicious comfort food.  I got my first taste of tomato fennel soup while shopping in Missoula.  Not normally a fan of tomato soup I decided to try it as I had limited options.  I was pleasantly surprised that the fennel actually made me like tomato soup.  After internet searches and recipe modifications I came up with my own version, now I'm going to share it with you.  I recommend pouring a glass of delicious wine, turning on loud music and singing along as loud as you can.  Wine and music make everything better-even tomato soup.

You will need:

olive oil
1/2 a small onion, diced
1 shallot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
one large carrot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 fennel bulb, diced
1 can diced tomatoes-do not drain
1 cup chicken broth
2 T. fresh basil
dash of oregano
dash of parsley
salt
pepper

In saucepan heat oil and cook your veggies until they are tender.  Add diced tomatoes and chicken broth and let simmer about 5 minutes.    Remove from heat and add chopped basil, sprinkle with basil, oregano and parsley.  Puree the soup with an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender to puree.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I garnished mine with some of the fennel leaf but that's not necessary.

Enjoy!

 In honor of Halloween's approach I am offering you this ridiculous picture of me with my even more ridiculous looking friend, Ruthie in the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment