Thursday, July 4, 2013

Mom's Potato Salad



I realize that it has been an unfortunately long period of time since your favorite spinsters have written a new post.  Don't worry, we haven't forgotten about you, unfortunately we now live in different towns and coordinating our delicious posts has gotten a bit...complicated.  On top of that we have both fairly recently started new jobs, my partner has moved up with her company and I moved towns and started something completely new.  Not only did I start a new position but I've had my heart hurt a few times in my new town, got a new dog, and am now in the process of buying a house.  When I say we have been busy I'm really not lying, I will let Megan J. elaborate on all of her exciting times.  Hopefully we will be able to post more regularly, I know when I get into my new house with it's beautiful kitchen and stainless steel appliances I will be spending much more time toying with new recipes.  Today, in honor of the holiday I'm posting my mother's recipe for potato salad.  Megan J hates potato salad and it took me a long time to come around to it but this recipe helped me with that.

You Will Need:

Potatoes
An equal # of eggs
Pickles
Onions (optional)
Mayo
Mustard
Pickle juice
Salt
Pepper 
Lawry's seasoned salt

You will notice I didn't give you any measurements...this is one of the issues with a family recipe, my mom and sister have never measured when making this so when I requested the recipe I didn't get any measurements either.  Boil your potatoes in the skin, I cut mine in half so they will cook a bit quicker.  Boil your eggs until hard-boiled, pretty much EVERYBODY has a different "right" way to do so.  Just don't do what my mom has done on more than one occasion; she forgets she's boiling eggs, the water boils out and the eggs explode, it's not pretty but it smells even worse.  When your eggs and potatoes are cooked cool them down with cold water.  Peel the potatoes, I use a butter knife, the skin comes off easily once cooked.  Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces and put in a serving bowl.  Peel your eggs and dice them up into the potatoes.  Dice up your pickles, I usually just mix them up and cut enough so it looks balanced.  If you like onions dice them up in there as well, personally I don't like onions in my potato salad, I never know if I'm crunching a pickle or an onion and I'm not big on that kind of uncertainty :).  In a separate bowl combine a few spoonfuls of mayo, a squirt of mustard and pour in a bit of pickle juice.  Use a rubber spatula and mix them together.  The color should look similar to what is in my picture.  Pour the mixture into the bowl w/the potatoes and mix until everything is well coated.  My sister, Jessie, doesn't like too much of the "dressing", so don't go overboard, make sure you make enough to coat your potatoes and eggs but not so much that it just sits there.  Salt and pepper to taste, I've never liked a lot of salt in my recipes.  After everything is mixed and beautiful sprinkle Lawry's seasoned salt on top-oh so pretty.  MMMMM, delicious.  In the kind of heat we've been having here in MT I suggest always having a beer nearby, drink up, eat up and enjoy!!

Megan S.


No comments:

Post a Comment