Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Potachos!


As a normal human being I have a soft spot for junk food.  I mean, seriously, who doesn't love french fries and onion rings and anything deep fried?  The only downer is that it's awful for you and makes you fat.  And I don't wanna get fat.  I already have to work out enough as is and that's kind of a bitch.  So, often I'll try to put a healthy spin on some of my junky favorites.  Like nachos.  If you look at most of the ingredients it's really not that bad for you.  It's mostly veggies and stuff.  I've found it tends to go down hill when you start to look at the chips and the things like sour cream and what not.  So, I came up with a toned down version that's still delicious!

You will need:

2 yukon gold potatoes
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
jalapenos, added to taste
1 can beans (your choice which kind)
1 small can sliced olives
1/2 an onion, chopped
1/2 a green pepper, chopped
1/2 a red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup mexican style cheese

Heat oven to 400.  Slice potatoes into uniform and bite size pieces.  Lay out on a cookie sheet and bake til crispy, stirring a few times.  This will take about 20 mins.  While those bake chop up your onion and both peppers.  Now you'll want a medium sized pan with high sides, whatever on earth that's actually called.  You'll want to use this to saute them over medium heat until onion becomes transparent.  Set aside.   While I wait for the potatoes to finish up I like to get all my other stuffs ready.  I like to drain and rinse my beans so I'll do that and get my tomatoes all sliced and open all my cans and that.  And drink wine :)  Duh.  When all of your ingredients are ready you'll want to throw them into that high sided pan I had you use.  Let everything cook around and heat up for about 5 mins.  Then add your cheese.  I find that the easiest way to get it melty and awesome is to put your cheese on, then add a little water and cover it.  This will create some pretty great steam and will get everything delicious.  Now you're ready to eat!

As I was writing this I was thinking of how rad it would be to throw in some corn.  I know most of the population would like ground beef with taco seasoning on there too and that would be mighty tasty.  Oh, and for most of the population who enjoy avocados, toss 'em on and enjoy!   Modify all you want.  I just ask that you drink wine while you do it.

Cheers!

Megan J


No comments:

Post a Comment