Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pork Roast

In many ways I am a traditional girl with traditional values and traditional tastes.  I like t-shirts and jeans, the man to make the first move and a tasty pork roast with potatoes.  Most of these traditional values come from being raised by traditional parents.  My mom was home everyday when I got home from school, I would like to say with fresh baked cookies waiting but lets get real, most moms don't have time for that.  My mom worked way beyond 40 hours a week to provide for his family.  We ate dinner as a family at the dinner table, not in front of TV, almost every night.  Each one of us kids had a night to do the dishes and if we didn't do it, honestly I don't know what would have happened, I don't remember being brave enough to risk it.  On occasion these nightly dinners consisted of pork roast and potatoes.  This recipe is not my mom's recipe, not all of her recipes are great, but it is a pretty tasty recipe all the same.

What you will need:

Pork roast (I used part of the one I bought for the pork verde, I had frozen it in several "single serve" baggies)
1 potato (peeled and chopped)
1/2 onion (peeled and sliced)
a handful of baby carrots
1/2 cup water
1/8 cup red wine (I used whatever bottle was lying around)
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 T. beef bouillon powder
approx. 1 tsp onion powder
approx. 1/2 tsp. celery seed
a few dashes of pepper

I know this looks like one hell of a list of ingredients but I promise, it's easy.  All you have to do is throw everything into your crock pot, turn it on high and wait for the pork to fall apart.  As I've said before I like my pork tender and falling apart.  When it starts to fall apart I know it's how I want it.  This took about four hours in my small crock pot and the pork started out frozen.  You can cook it on low if you plan on leaving it longer, say while you're spending 8 hours at work.

Enjoy!
Megan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment