Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spaghetti






Honestly, my mother was never much of a cook.  I don't think because she lacked the skill but because she never really cared.  I mean, we kids would eat pretty much anything if she made it sound like something we wanted.  Butter noodles were a particular favorite.  Which is simply egg noodles, butter, and dried parsley.  Now that I'm an adult (mostly) and do a lot of cooking for myself I've adopted my own style.  However, every now and then, mom's cooking just sounds dank.  Like her spaghetti.  I'm gonna go ahead and disclaim this with the fact that my mother is absolutely OBSESSED with Alpine Touch.  I mean, her first job was putting labels on the jars.  It's in her blood or something.  It always ends up on her meat, hash browns, salads, you name it.  Normally, I think it's freaking nasty.  Except in this...

You will need:

1/2 lbs hamburger or 1/2 brick of tofu
1 can tomato sauce
2 tbsp Alpine Touch (nothing else will do)
2 tbsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp minced onions
1 tbsp minced or powdered garlic
whole wheat pasta (I like angel hair)
cheese to your liking

Start by browning your hamburger or crumbling your tofu.  If you choose the hamburger route toss in the minced onions with it while it browns.  Once meat is cooked add the can of tomato sauce.  If you're doing tofu (like I did!) just start with the crumbled tofu and tomato sauce in a high walled skillet.   Now add all your spices.  Simmer over medium heat.

While this cooks and the flavors meld you'll want to cook your pasta according to the package directions.  Once everything is cooked and ready to go put your pasta in your bowl or plate and spoon the sauce on top.  Sometimes I'll get bold and throw in things like carrots and broccoli or rosemary.  I just gave you the basic version and you can go from there.  This also works well for making a meat sauce to put in lasagna.  Yum!

Pair with a nice red wine and enjoy!

Cheers!  Megan J

No comments:

Post a Comment