Saturday, March 31, 2012

Biscuits and Gravy-Breakfast for Dinner



Comfort food, we all love it and we all have a specific dish that speaks to our need for comfort, biscuits and gravy is mine.  Almost every Sunday morning growing up I would be coaxed out of bed by the smell of bacon and sausage cooking.  Smelling it I would know my mom was cooking up my favorite dish.  We would go to a restaurant to eat and I would try to eat their version but it was never as good as mom's home cooking.  When I decided to cut out most dairy and most gluten from my diet I thought I would have to give up my favorite comfort food, the thought made me very sad and very much in need of comfort, so I sought out a way to keep the dish in my diet.  It took a few attempts at it but I finally created biscuits and gravy like mom's but GF/DF.  Before I decided to research this recipe I had NEVER made gravy.  The gravy part was always my mom's job.  She makes amazing gravy and really why mess with success?  The idea of cooking up some gravy completely intimidated me, I was sure my version would be clumpy and flavorless, turns out gravy is way easier to make then I ever realized. 

For the biscuits you will need:
1 cup Bob's Red Mill all-purpose GF flour (if you are not GF you can use regular flour)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 T DF butter (I use earth balance, if you're not DF margarine works)
1/4 tsp. salt
3/8 c. rice milk (not DF?  use regular milk)
1 tsp. xanthan gum (leave this out if you used traditional flour)

For the gravy you will need:
the grease from cooking your bacon and/or sausage
rice flour (regular flour if you prefer)
rice milk (regular milk if you prefer)
pepper
if you like you can cook up some sausage to mix in as well

The amount of flour and milk depends on how much gravy you want to end up with.  I've never measured I've just dumped in the skillet til I got the amount and consistency that I wanted.  Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  For the biscuits mix all your dry ingredients then cut in the butter or margarine.  When done with that create a "hole" in the center, pour your milk in and mix dry ingredients in slowly.  I don't roll my dough out to cut the biscuits, I just grab a handful and make it a "biscuit shape."  This recipe will make about 4 biscuits.  Put on baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.  While my biscuits are cooking I usually start cooking a few pieces of bacon, some sausage, eggs, potatoes, whatever sounds good to go with my breakfast.  When you are done cooking your bacon and sausage remove from skillet leaving the grease behind.  Keep your pan on medium heat and add a heaping tablespoon of flour to the grease.  Mix with a whisk to prevent clumping.  Add your milk and allow mixture to simmer, whisking constantly.  If your mixture gets too thick add a little milk, if it's too thin whisk in some extra flour.  Rice flour doesn't seem to clump as much as regular flour.  When you have the right consistency pepper to taste and fold in crumbled sausage if you like. Now you can enjoy!

I personally put gravy on every part of my breakfast, eggs included, I mean really can you ever have too much gravy?  I remember when I was a kid my parents would break my biscuit up into bite size pieces and then pour the gravy on, now as an adult I feel like that's the only way to eat biscuits and gravy so I usually do the same thing.  Now I know this is a breakfast dish, but it's quick and easy and therefore I end up making it for dinner regularly.  Feel free to do the same!
Megan S

No comments:

Post a Comment