Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Awesome pot roast!

I apologize.  I don't have a story to go with this recipe.  Just not in the story telling mood these days. 

So, for those of you who don't know me, I haven't always been vegetarian.  It's relatively new for me.  Since this is the case I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes from my meat eating days.  I don't have a pic of it as I haven't cooked it since before we had the blog but trust me, it's delicious.  Megan S always steals some or begs me to make it just for her to eat.  You won't be disappointed.

You will need -

1/2 an onion, cut into large sections
1/2 lb potatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 lb carrots, cut into 1 1/2 inch long sections
small piece of beef (1 lbs ish)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
1 cup brewed coffee
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Start by trimming any obvious fat off your meat.  Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.  In a skillet heat a small amount of oil.  Sear both sides of the beef (about 2 mins each side).  Place onion, carrots and potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot.  Set beef on top.  In a small bowl whisk together the last four ingredients and pour over the top of the meat in the crock pot.  Set on low and cook for 8-9 hours or until beef is fork tender. 

To be honest, I never had a clue how cuts of beef worked.  I don't know which ones are good and which ones aren't.  So, take your knowledge and grab something that sounds good and go for it.

Pair with a nice Malbec :)

Cheers!

Megan J

No comments:

Post a Comment