Monday, June 4, 2012

pick-me-up-pancakes

Isn't it interesting the different changes you experience in life?  One of my favorite phrases has always been "the tide always turns" and I'm finding that I have to remind myself of that frequently these days.  For me life seems to operate in sort of an ebb and flow.  Some days everything is rainbows, sunshine, puppies, and popsicles and all of my relationships are full of juicy, satisfying contact and love.  And sometimes there are more dark and ominous and unicorns have gotten their horns chopped off and contact is sparse and I have to go to couples counseling with my manager.  I am currently in an ebb, which I think is the bad one so let's go with it.  Things aren't exactly going my way and I want to be a petulant child and lay down and throw a tantrum but that surely won't solve anything or really make me feel better.  So, I come up with ways to distract myself.  One of which is making some dank pancakes.  Which always help perk me up.  For your own lil dose of happy you will need the following:



1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 sliced almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/4  tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie seasoning
1 medium banana
1/2 cup almond milk
1 egg white
1 cup frozen blueberries

In a bowl combine first five ingredients.  Mash half the banana in another bowl and add milk and egg.  Mix the two bowls together and add the other half of your banana.  Once it's all mixed up add your berries.  Heat up a skillet with some cooking spray on it.  Pour a small amount of batter into the skillet.  Don't go too thick or you be left with a nasty pile o yuck.  Trust me.  Cook until yummy which is about 2-3 mins per side.

I am personally not a maple syrup person so I serve mine with butter, brown sugar and more blueberries.  I fed these to a friend recently and we added nectarine as well which was quite yummy.  I tried to enjoy this with a nice, hot, cup of tea but somehow managed to spill most of it down my hand and my pants.  If you feel like you have a little more coordination than I do I'm certain a hot beverage would be lovely.  I think my dumb ass will be sticking  to water.

Cheers!  Megan J

No comments:

Post a Comment