Sunday, December 18, 2011

Kidney Bean Tacos


OK, so I'm not going to lie, generally speaking I prefer meat on my tacos, but this week is bean week so I'm changing it up a bit.  For my version I made homemade taco shells, I'll include the recipe but if you prefer, buy your own or even use chips for a quick delicious dinner.

For the taco shells you will need:
1/2 c. milk
1/8 c. corn starch
1/4 c. corn meal
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg beaten

Mix the dry ingredients together first then add milk and egg.  You'll want to heat your skillet up a little bit first and I use butter to fry the shell in.  When you pour in the batter you want to make sure to keep the shell thin and don't flip it until it's almost completely cooked through.  I find that a good non-stick pan works best as these guys will fall apart pretty easily, especially if it sticks.

Now for the bean mixture you will need:
1/2 can of dark red kidney beans, more if you're hungry
bell peppers (any or all colors you want)
onions

about 1 tbsp. of taco seasoning
and any other goodies that you like

Saute your veggies in a touch of olive oil until they're soft, add your kidney beans and the taco seasoning as your package directs.

When everything is ready load your taco shell up with your bean concoction, add any other taco ingredients you like (cheese, salsa, sour cream, tomatoes...) and enjoy!  Now I know that we have previously told you to pour a glass of wine while cooking, but let's be honest, when cooking Mexican you should really be pouring a stiff margarita.  So grab the margarita mix and the Jose because Mexican just tastes better that way!

Oh and one added bonus of being single, when the beans hit you and make you gassy, you don't have to worry about being judged for farting :)
Megan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment