Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Rainbow pesto pasta!

Ok, here's the deal.  Each week (or so) we'll choose a theme and give you different recipes all using similar ingredients so you can use up your leftovers and get a little variety.  Oh so important.  Our first week will revolve around pesto.  Delish!

As someone who tries to avoid processed food and vegetable/canola oil as much as possible I like to make my own pesto.  One thing you should know about my cooking style before starting is that I try to do everything on the cheap.  We spinsters gotta save our moneys for the important things in life like wine and goat cheese.  So, if I can find things in bulk I go with it.  I scored on this last trip and got pine nuts in the bulk spice section.  It was awesome.  This is almost always cheaper than buying something prepackaged plus you get to avoid all the nasty preservatives!  Also, some people like to add garlic to their pesto which can be super tasty.  I am, however, a little lazy and don't want to wait for the garlic to roast.  If you want garlic quickly and easily you can always get the precut stuff you find in the little jars.  To make my version of pesto you will need the following:

one package basil (I like organic)
1/8 cup raw pine nuts
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4c fresh parmesan (just a block from the fancy cheese section, but shaved into small bits)
A touch of black pepper

Peel leaves off the basil and put in the food processor.  You will actually want a food processor for this.  Believe me, I've tried it without and it just doesn't work.  Add pine nuts, olive oil, pepper, and parmesan.  Blend until it looks yummy.  Set aside and have some wine.

You will also need some pasta.  I love whatever I can find in the bulk section at the store.  Feel free to scrounge through your cabinets and pull out whatever you have.  Penne and fettucini?  That'll work!  Cook about a cup of the pasta according to the directions.  You will also need:

1/2 cup broccoli
1/2 a red pepper - cut into bite sized chunks
1/2 an onion - chopped
1 clove fresh garlic - minced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
1 tsp olive oil
lemon juice to taste

Steam broccoli.  Heat oil in a medium skillet.  Add onions and garlic and saute until onion is translucent.  Add pepper and cook for an additional three minutes.  Have a little more wine.

Add onion mixture and broccoli to pasta.  Scoop out half the pesto and stir in to pasta.  Add lemon juice to taste.  I personally like a lot of lemon juice.  Eat up!

I must admit that I encourage improvising.  You should actually rummage through your refrigerator and find whatever veggies you have on hand.  What about those carrots from a few weeks ago when you decided to go on a health kick?   Perfect!  The beauty of this recipe is that it makes substitutions a breeze.

So get cooking and enjoy any happy accidents that happen along the way!  - Megan J

No comments:

Post a Comment