Friday, December 9, 2011

Poached Eggs and Pesto!


The moment I ate my first poached egg, a love affair began.  All other eggs pale in comparison now.  Scrambled? You disgust me. Over easy? You'll do in a pinch I suppose.  Why? You may ask.  Not entirely certain and I'm not gonna question it either.  "True Love is not the kind of thing you should turn down. Don't ever turn it down (to quote The Avett Brothers, an entirely different love affair that I won't get into right now)."  Like any good relationship, poached eggs and I have our moments of anger and disappointment.  Some of these moments I'd rather just keep to myself. I am a lady after all. However, one of these disappointments lie in what usually accompanies poached eggs.  Hollandaise. You two may be all buddy buddy but seriously, hollandaise, you suck. One cup of you is over 1,000 calories. I cannot afford that! You are not welcome in my home Mr. Sauce. Poached eggs and I are fine on our own.  So in revolt of hollandaise sauces everywhere, I share this recipe with you:

1 english muffin or bread of choice
2 slices of tomato
2 eggs, poached
2 strips bacon (optional)
1/4 cup favorite cheese (optional)
2 tbsp pesto (see Megan J's recipe)
1 tbsp white vinegar

Cook bacon and set aside.  My preferred method of this oh so delectable treat is to bake it at 350 deg. It cooks much more evenly and frees up the whole stove top.  Also, it won't attack you (think bits of grease splattering across arms).
Bring water and vinegar to a boil in pot, about 3-4 inches or enough to cover your eggs.  Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer.
Go ahead and toast your english muffin.
Now you gotta get all gentle with your eggs.  I like to break an egg at a time into a small dish first.  Hold the dish directly over the simmering water and slowly let it glide into it.  Repeat. Take a slotted spoon and gently separate the egg whites from one another if they decide to try and become one.  Gentle, I said!
It'll only take about 2 1/2 minutes to poach, so get your toasted english muffin on a plate with tomato slices.  Use a slotted spoon to lift egg out of water (I'd say gently, but you get the point) and let drain. Repeat.
Place on tomato slices, crumble bacon, sprinkle cheese, top with pesto. Enjoy!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment