Monday, January 16, 2012

Ah, simple pleasures.

I truly believe in life's simple pleasures.  Those small things that will always bring a smile to your face no matter what's going on.  Sometimes it's a great song, like Short Trip Home by Edgar Meyer and Co, or putting on clothes fresh out of the dryer.  Ahhhh.  Love it.  And sometimes it's things like your favorite foods.  I grew up on some serious comfort food like meatloaf, goulash, spaghetti and butter noodles.  Of course, with the whole vegetarian thing a lot of those are off limits.  However, I find that I will always make time for one of my all time favorites - bruschetta.

You will need the following:

1 baguette (I like whole wheat, go figure)
2 ripe roma tomatoes
one grocery store container of fresh basil
two fat slices of fresh mozzarella (the squishy kind)
that garlic I made you roast last week
2 tbsp olive oil

Slice baguette into thin slices (approximately 6 slices).  Drizzle each piece with a little olive oil.  Adjust oven so the rack is down fairly low and put the baguette pieces on a cookie sheet and broil until they're slightly crisp.  Switch the oven to about 400 degrees and remove cookie sheet.  Slice cheese into small enough pieces to fit on each piece of bread and layer.  Put back in the oven until cheese is melty.  At this point I put my garlic in as well to get that warm again.  Once cheese is melty add tomatoes to each one followed by a leaf of basil.  Remove garlic cloves from roasted bulb and place one on top of each basil leaf.  And you're done! 

Now, normally I would tell you to pour a fat glass of wine and enjoy but if you're like me you went a little overboard over the holidays and need a breather.  I went for an americano with my dinner tonight and it was quite nice.  The only downer is I may be up all night.  Whoops.

Also, you may have noticed pictures at the end of the last few entries.  Seemed like a good idea to give you all faces to go with the names so you can properly facebook stalk us :)

Cheers!  Megan J

No comments:

Post a Comment