Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lasagna


I've mentioned in a previous post what a picky eater I was (still am in some regards) growing up.  My diet consisted mainly of mashed potatoes and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  One day I would love meatloaf and the next I would be screaming I wouldn't touch the stuff.  Perhaps I was exerting my independence at a young age?  Hah! Who am I kidding, I was a brat.

I refused to eat my Mom's tuna noodle casserole unless she blended the cream of mushroom soup first.  I swore not to eat venison, only beef, so before each meal I would ask her which she was using.  90% of the time it was venison, 100% of the time she told me it was beef.  If there was an open jar of pickles on the table, I would insist it be covered and removed to the far end so I wouldn't have to smell it.  The texture of melted cheese on pizza made me gag, so I would remove every shred of it, consuming only the crust, sauce and pepperoni.

I did, however, love my Mom's lasagna.  I'm pretty sure she would prepare it while I wasn't around, so I wouldn't see what was going in it.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion (yellow or white)
1/2 green pepper
1 large can of spaghetti sauce
1 16 oz container of cottage cheese
No-boil lasagna noodles
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
1 cup shredded cheese blend
1 cup spinach
1 egg
Salt and pepper TT
Crushed red pepper TT
2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook beef in large skillet along with garlic, onion and pepper until fully cooked.  Drain excess fat, return to pan along with crushed red pepper and can of sauce.  Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.  While this is cooking, break egg into a medium sized bowl and mix.  Add cottage cheese, Parmesan and salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Tear spinach into bowl and incorporate into mixture.
Once meat mixture is done, place a bit into the bottom of square baking dish and cover with 2 lasagna noodles.  Add half of cottage cheese mixture and spread out so noodles are fully covered.  Layer two more noodles and top with 1/2 of the meat mixture and shredded cheese.  Follow with more noodles and remaining cottage cheese mixture.  Place final noodles atop and the rest of meat mixture and shredded cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes uncovered.  Remove from oven and let it set for about 10 minutes while you prepare any side dishes, a small salad and garlic bread perhaps.
Enjoy.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment