Friday, January 13, 2012

Salsa


So we all have those nights, nights when you're just too damn lazy to cook an actual dinner.  Usually when I have those nights I make some ramen, but lately I've been trying to eat healthier and all that crap.  When you're having one of those lazy nights and are trying to pick healthy options it can be easier to make an appetizer and pig out till you're full.  This recipe is perfect for one of those nights.  Really it's become my version of "having a salad," especially since I HATE salad.

You will need:
tortilla chips
approx. 3 vine ripened tomatoes
1/2 an onion
1/2 jalapeno
1 garlic clove
1/4 C. cilantro
Juice from 1/2 lime(it tastes better when you use an actual lime instead of the bottled crap, take my word for it)
cumin
salt
pepper

The amounts listed are guidelines.  In my experience different people prefer different ratios.  If you like spicier salsa use more jalapeno and/or use the seeds in your mix.  You can throw most everything in a food processor and let it do the work if you like the quick and easy route.  For some reason I prefer to chop everything myself (I'm weird like that).  Once the veggies are chopped up add the lime juice and season w/cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.  Mix everything together and taste test. 

I posted this recipe after the chicken tortilla recipe as some of the ingredients are the same.  You can use leftovers from one to prepare the other.  Hopefully this keeps your veggies from going bad in the refrigerator before you get around to using them.  I have a tendency to forget that I have veggies, mostly because I usually have to force myself to eat them, I've never liked things that taste like the color green.  I prefer to use the remainder of my lime as a garnish in my margarita.  So get your margarita ready, grab a bag of tortilla chips and make this your dinner!
Megan S

No comments:

Post a Comment