Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chicken Alfredo


I have always enjoyed alfredo in restaurants and could never figure out why it just wasn't the same when I had it at home with a jar of alfredo sauce.  Then when I was 22 I lived with my friend, Trixie (not her real name).  When we lived together the joke was that we were married, we called eachother wife and we each had certain duties to do at home.  This joke even followed us when we went out.  If one was with out the other our bar friends would inevitably ask, "Hey, where's your wife?"  When we were at home Trixie cooked, I did dishes.  It was during this time that I discovered why alfredo left something to be desired when made at home...it wasn't homemade sauce.  In performing her "wifely" duties one night Trixie made homemade alfredo sauce and with the first bite I was in love!  Then after we went our separate ways I had to learn to make it on my own, I was astonished at how easy it was.

You will need, for the chicken:
1 chicken breast cubed
oregano
basil
1 clove garlic

for the sauce:
the smallest carton of heavy whipping cream you can find (anymore is WAY too much for one person)
approx. 1/4 c. fresh shredded parmesan cheese
at least one clove of garlic
1-2 Tbsps butter
a few dashes of pepper

You will also need:
1/4-1/2 a diced vine-ripened tomato (they're just better)

First start the water for your pasta, I use GF pasta but you can use whatever the hell you have lying around.  Doesn't matter if your noodles are spaghetti, alfredo, penne, it all tastes the same to me and probably to you too.  Cook the pasta according to the instructions.  Mince the garlic for your chicken and sauce.  Throw the butter for your sauce in a skillet with garlic and do the same with your chicken (I use olive oil for the chicken).  Season your chicken with as much basil and oregano as you like and let cook while preparing sauce.  Once the butter for your sauce has melted completely add the heavy whipping cream use a whisk to stir your cream as it heats.  Once the whipping cream has started bubbling add your parmesan cheese.  I do a little bit at a time and let it incorporate into the cream.  The exact amount of parmesan you use will be based on your own tastes.  I generally use the same amount of parm as cream but you might prefer the taste of less or more.  Add pepper to your sauce to taste.  Continue to heat sauce while whisking until it thickens to desired consistency.  I have discovered that this sauce tastes just is good thick or thin so don't concern yourself to much about getting the right consistency.  In fact Trixie has made this recipe with low fat milk and swears it tastes just as good but is much thinner.  I haven't been brave enough to try.   Dice your tomatoes.

When everything is done pour your sauce over the pasta and chicken and add diced tomatoes to the top.  I also garnished my pasta with extra parmesan.  The tomatoes add a touch of diversity to the dish and it is excellent.  As you can see from my picture I also steamed some broccoli with my dinner.  A little butter, salt, and pepper and even I was willing to eat my veggies:).

Now that I know how to make this dish it has quickly become one of my favorites.  I have also found that it is a continuous crowd pleaser when you get the chance to cook for more than just yourself. 
Megan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment