Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blackened Mahi Mahi

 
So as you may have noticed from other recipes I have posted, I am a BIG fan of dairy products.  Unfortunately after eating several of my previously posted recipes I came to realize that as much as I like dairy, my stomach dislikes it.  Alas, I have now cut out a major portion of the dairy products I was consuming.  In fact I've cut out everything except the stuff I get free, like catered meals at work, I've never been good at saying "no" to free things.  The reason I tell you this is because now most of my recipes will be dairy free (DF) as well as gluten free (GF).  I cut out most gluten from my diet a few years ago but fell off the wagon.  Now that I'm going without dairy I figured it was a good time to rededicate to gluten free.  Before my dairy free adventure I would have cooked a garlic cream sauce with the mahi mahi.  The flavor goes really well with the cajun flavor of the fish.  Instead of the garlic cream sauce I put my mahi mahi on a bed of quinoa and added some brussels sprouts on the side.  I know that not everyone is dairy free and you're probably thinking,  hmm, that garlic cream sauce sounds kind of tasty, and it is, so I'll go ahead and give you the recipe for that as well.

You will need:
1 mahi mahi fillet
1 T. paprika
1/2 T. oregano
1/2 T. thyme
1/2 T. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
olive oil

Combine all of your herbs and spices on a plate.  Coat your mahi mahi on all sides with a thick layer of the herbs and spices.  Put some olive oil in a skillet and heat.  Once hot add the mahi mahi and cover.  Cook a few minutes on each side until done.  Really the mahi mahi is pretty darn easy.  I cooked my quinoa as directed on the packaged and placed my mahi mahi on that, instead of my usual garlic cream sauce.  So now I bet you're wondering how to make the cream sauce so here goes, you will want to start the cream sauce first as it will take the longest.

You will need:
the smallest carton of heavy whipping cream possible
a few garlic cloves
butter
olive oil

Drizzle your garlic with the olive oil and roast in the oven.  I believe Megan J. is more specific in her simple pleasures post.  Once garlic is roasted you will want to use a garlic press or blender on it.  Add garlic to the heavy whipping cream and about a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and heat.  Allow the sauce to reduce to desired consistency and pour on top of your mahi mahi when it's ready.  Although this is easy the sauce does take some time to get to the right consistency.  Once it's done though, you'll love it!

Enjoy! Megan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment