Monday, January 23, 2012

Chicken Lo Mein

For some reason I always think it's going to be REALLY hard to make a Chinese inspired dish.  I don't know why, I just do, fortunately, most times that I've tried it hasn't been nearly as hard as expected.  Admittedly, it took me two attempts at lo mein to get a dish that tasted good.  Not because this recipe is hard, simply because I wasn't using the right ingredients, sometimes that happens when you experiment in the kitchen.

For this recipe you will need:
one chicken breast
spaghetti noodles (I used GF rice noodles)
a cup or so of frozen stir fry veggies, or buy your fave fresh veggies instead
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. soy sauce
2 tsps. ground ginger
1-2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp. corn starch
2 T. hoisin sauce

Start by thinly slicing your chicken breast.  Combine 1 T. soy sauce, 1 tsp. ground ginger, minced garlic and corn starch in a bowl with your sliced chicken, coating chicken well.  Let this sit while you start your pasta, use as little or as much as you want, cook pasta according to package directions.  When you add pasta to water start your chicken.  Cook chicken in 1 T. sesame oil on medium high heat until mostly cooked.  Remove chicken from pan, add 1 T. sesame oil and sautee veggies for a couple minutes.  I used frozen veggies because I'm always in a hurry and it was easy.  Feel free to use fresh veggies of your choice instead and sautee.  When the pasta is done cooking add it and the chicken to the pan with your veggies.  Add the other T. of soy sauce, 1 tsp. ground ginger and the hoisin sauce.  Cook together in the pan for about 5 minutes.  If your dish gets too dry feel free to add a little bit of water.  Cook together until pasta, chicken and veggies are well coated with your sauce and then dish up.

I really enjoyed cooking and eating this dish.  It probably won't completely take the place of the lo mein at my favorite Chinese restaurant but it will probably help with cravings between visits.

Now check out this somewhat old picture of Megan J. and me (Megan S.)

No comments:

Post a Comment